Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sweating and Not sweating the small stuff

Hello fellow readers!



It's been almost two months at site. The first month was a rollercoaster of crazy different emotions. However, the second month has been pretty great overall. I wake up happy, I spend most of my day smiling and am usually feel like I'm in this scene from 500 days of summer (http://www.youtube.com/)

There has been some major changes between the first and the second month that contribute to this mood shift. I have a set schedule and really enjoy my work with my girls and the gogos. I have gotten closer with my host family and really enjoy spending time with them. I feel more integrated into the community. I have a solid group of other pcvs that live close by that I can hang out with on weekends.

But one of the most helpful things has been a slight attitude change. I try to no longer let the small stuff get to me. If it takes forever to get a khumbi, if the girls won't get quiet in class, if its bone chilling cold...I just try to move past it. And also find the upside. If the khumbi takes forever, it means I get more time to read. If I get harassed by a local man, I get tell my friends a funny story and also add one to the number of marriage proposals I've gotten (having a competition with a few other pcvs to see who can receive the most number of marriage proposals, so far I'm losing by a lot). If the girls won't stop talking, I get to try out new ways to get them to listen. So far quiet coyote has been working pretty well. And if its very cold in the morning, more excuses to drink more coffee and bundle up. And even though its almost winter, South Africa is still pretty warm most of the time.

On the flipside, if something good happens, its major cause for celebration. A funny or heartfelt text from a fellow pcv or friend back in the states can make my day. Hugs from my gogos or girls fill me with warmth. Finding out that granny smith apples were on sale for about 1.5 dollars for 1.5 kg almost made me do a jig in Shoprite. A couple days ago, my kindle suddenly was able to connect to the internet and I can download books again. One of the highlights of my month!

As all this little happy stuff piles up, it makes it easier to keep smiling, even when the tough stuff happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment