Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Comparison is Futile

I spent last weekend with a group of my fellow volunteers on a weekend getaway. We went to a hot springs that was close to another volunteer's site. The fun times included a mexican feast, lots of bathing in the hotsprings, mini golf and hot showers, all for relatively cheap.

What I was struck by the most is how there were ten of us, all peace corps south africa volunteers...yet all having incredibly different experiences. Two volunteers live together in a suburb of a city. They have running (hot!) Water and easy access to a supermarket and good food. Both of them work at ngos doing capacity building and have offices and computers. Compare that to me. My office is my house. No ngo or supervisors. No running water and a thirty minute taxi ride to a supermarket. And yet we are all peace corps volunteers. However, I'm not making any value judgments on whether their experiences are harder or easier (truth be told, I actually think I'm having an easier time) because its very hard to compare.

Another volunteer I was with last weekend lives on her organization's compound and thus doesn't have a host family. Very different. One volunteer is on her third year and spends half the time working for peace corps south africa and half her time working for a private christian school in a large city. Two volunteers I was with were education volunteers.

Although comparing our experiences isn't quite like comparing apples to oranges (we are all peace corps volunteer in south africa after all) it is not one to be easily done.

No comments:

Post a Comment