Sunday, August 12, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Peace Corps is like high school, in many unfortunate and fortunate ways, but I'm just going to talk about one right now. There are anywhere from four to five classes at a time in South Africa, classes meaning the group with you came to Africa with, mine being SA25. The oldest class, the one who has been in South Africa the longest is considered the senior group, while the one that just got out of training is considered the freshman, the two other classes being the sophomore and junior class Right now, the 26's are in training while the 22's are leaving or COSing, which means us SA 25s to make the step up into the sophomore class. Scary eh, to think we have been here more than six months and have done about a quarter of our service.

When I was a young warthog...sorry, when I was a newly minted volunteer, I was placed in area with very few SA25's, but a lot of SA22's. They reached out to me and soon I was part of their family. Which included apple pie bakeoffs, girly movie watching nights, meetups for pizza and grocery shopping in our shopping town, movie trips to Pretoria to see the latest volunteer. They helped me get settled in Kwandebele and became some of my closest friends. They also introduced me to their SA22 friends, and soon I had tons of SA22 friends in several provinces. They became some of my closest friends as well and we spent a lot of time having both heart to hearts and adventures.

Unfortunately for me, out of the original group of four who helped me out, three have finished their service and are back in America. The rest of my 22 friends are soon to leave the country as well. As my closest friend leaves the country on Wednesday, I'm incredibly sad.

However, it's just part of the peace corps process. People come, people bond, people leave, people meet new people and the cycle repeats. Apparently there will be some 26's moving to my area. I'm excited to meet them and hopefully they will help fill the hole in my heart that the 22's have vacated. They just have a lot to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment